Our Easy Cauliflower Cheese Bake is a excellent side dish for roast dinners or you could stir in some tinned cannellini beans to make a vegetarian dinner by leaving out the bacon. The magic is in these cheese sauce – so once you have mastered that you can add anything else to the dish you would like.
- 1 medium sized cauliflower
- 60 g butter
- 60 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Leek
- 200 grams diced bacon
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 Bunch of Shallots
- 250 g tasty cheddar cheese, grated
Preparation: 10 mins › Cook: 25 mins › Ready in: 35 mins
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C. Wash the cauliflower and remove some the outer leaves and break into small florets. Place in a large pot, add enough water to cover the and boil till soft (or steam the cauliflower). Don’t overcook as this will continue to cook in the oven. Drain.
- To make the cheese sauce; melt the butter over a low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour. Use a whisk to constantly mix them together. The mixture should pull away from the sides of the pot but continue to stir for another minute to allow the flour to cook.
- Pour in a little of the milk and whisk or stir continuously. When the mixture has thickened up, add more milk but keep stirring. Continue to do this until the sauce has thickened but is still just pour-able. Add the grated cheese and stir well. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Slice up the leek and bacon and fry off in a fry pan.
- Slice up shallots
- Place the drained cauliflower and all other ingredients in an oven proof dish. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower, making sure you cover all of it. Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until the cheese has turned golden brown.