Gluten Free Japanese Cotton Cheesecake – We decided to do something a little bit fun for dessert and made this delicious Japanese Cheesecake. It was so yummy and one of favourites to make. Imagine a pound cake mixed with cheesecake and that’s exactly what this is. Do yourself a favour and give this one a go, it’s well worth the little bit of extra time it takes.
250g cream cheese
80ml canola oil
60g gluten free corn flour (sifted)
50g castor sugar
6 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
40ml lemon juice
100g castor sugar
1. Preheat oven to 150 degree C and line bottom and sides of an 8″ round cake pan. I used a springform tin.
2. Melt cream cheese with 50g sugar and oil in a double boiler, whisking until u get a smooth batter. Remove from heat. Add in cold milk and whisk until smooth.
3. Whisk in the egg yolks then add lemon juice. Add corn flour and whisk again until well combined.
4. Next beat up egg whites on high speed and add spoonfuls of the 100g castor sugar until firm peak meringue is formed.
5. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the cheese mixture and gently fold until combined. Repeat with another 1/3 until all is used up.
6. Transfer batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake the cake in water bath for 80-90 minutes or until cooked.
8. Remove from oven, leave to cool in oven with the heat turned off and the oven door open.
Mumma’s tip: cover the base of the springform pan with alfoil before putting it in the water bath. This will stop the base from going soggy.
Jody – The Gluten Free Mumma xx