The cauliflower in this recipe adds a little something extra to a standard risotto dish. Filling, hearty and warm, this meal is perfect for winter nights when you’re not sure what to cook!
- 1 Litre Massel Liquid Stock Chicken Style
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 clove garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 sprig thyme
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 25 g butter (chopped)
- 500 g cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1/2 cup parmesan (grated, plus extra to decorate)
- 2 tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- Bring Massel Liquid Stock Chicken Style in a small saucepan to the boil. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbs of oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and thyme, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add rice and stir to coat grains in oil. Add wine and simmer for 1 minute or until absorbed. Add stock, a ladle at a time, stirring until stock is absorbed. Continue with remaining stock until rice is al dente and stock is absorbed (this will take 20-25 minutes). Have 1 cup boiling water on hand if you need a little extra liquid to finish cooking the rice.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tsp of oil with 25g butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook cauliflower florets, tossing occasionally, for 10 minutes or until well browned and just tender.
- Discard sprigs of thyme. Add cauliflower and Parmesan and stir to combine. Stand, covered, for 2 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley and almonds.