If you really love butter chicken but steer clear thanks to its calorie content then this healthy version is for you! It has all the flavour that both your taste buds – and waistline – will love.
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 500g chicken thighs, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam marsala
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (stalk and leaves)
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 180ml (3/4 cup) chicken stock
- 120ml (1/2 cup) low fat Greek yoghurt
- 60ml (1/4 cup) low fat thickened cream
- 2 cups cooked rice
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on medium and add half the butter.
- Add chicken and onion and brown for a couple of minutes.
- Remove mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining butter as well as the garlic, ginger, cumin, garam marsala, cardamom and coriander.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes before returning chicken to the pan, along with the tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Increase the heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes before adding yoghurt and cream.
- Heat through and serve on rice garnished with coriander leaves.