VIETNAMESE BEEF AND LEMONGRASS STEW
This recipe has been adapted from a recipe I found in the Coles magazine and has since become a family favourite that is requested often. This a hearty, melt in your mouth, warm your soul kind of dish that really has to be tried to be believed. I would call it more of a soup than a stew as it is quite liquidy.
I am fortunate enough to sell Tupperware on the side so I get to test out products and buy them. I have adapted this recipe to use the Micro Pressure Cooker, however, I will also provide instructions for slow cooking in the oven and also using a traditional slow cooker. Using the Micro Pressure cooker cut the cook time down by about a quarter so it is something that I highly recommend for quick, nutritious meals.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins (Micro Pressure Cooker), 3 hrs 25 mins (oven), 6 hrs (slow cooker)
- 1kg Gravy Beef, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 tbs vegetable oil, divided
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbs finely chopped lemongrass or lemongrass paste
- 1 tbs finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbs finely chopped peeled ginger
- ¼ cup (70g) tomato paste
- 2 whole star anise
- 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced beef stock
- 1 turnip, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 375g dried rice stick noodles
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- If using oven method, preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tbs of the oil and half the beef. Cook, turning as needed, for 6 mins or until beef is brown. Transfer beef to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, lemongrass, garlic and ginger to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 mins or until onion softens.
- Add the tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 mins or until paste begins to stick to base of pan. Stir in star anise and stock, scraping up brown bits from base of pan. Return beef to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Micro Pressure Cooker: Add all ingredients and microwave for 15 minutes. Oven: Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 2½ hours. Slow cooker: Add all ingredients and cook for 4 hours on high
- Add carrots and turnip. Micro Pressure cooker: Cook for a further 10 minutes. Oven: Bake, uncovered, for 30 mins or until beef is fork-tender. Slow Cooker: Cook for a further 2 hours or until beef is fork tender. Skim off any fat that rises to the top. Stir in fish sauce. Season.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook noodles for 4 mins or until al dente. Drain. Divide noodles among 6 bowls. Spoon stew over noodles and serve basil and lime.
That is star anise – not a spider.
I made a video for this and you can watch it here.
Don’t forget to like our Facebook page for more recipes, reviews and tips.
Until next time,
Jody – The Gluten Free Mumma xx